Monday

I was walking around aimlessly after saying goodbye to a friend. At one point while crossing the street, I realized that I didn’t want to be crossing the street, so turned around and walked back to where I started.
You get the point.
Aimless.
About a half an hour later I found myself at the end of the 1 train - Van Cortland Park. Basically all the brothas and sistas were out grillin with the family. I didn't fit in, and the streets were vacant.
The only thing open was a tanning salon directly across from the park. So I went tanning.
Then I got some ice cream.
And then I got back on the train.
I felt like Van Cortland was my first BUST of a subway trip. I didn't feel like going back to my hood, or any hood remotely close to mine. Basically I didn't really feel like I was ready to see white people - it was strange.
So I decided to go bowling in the Bronx. I decided to get off the train at 125, and walk across 125 to the green line.
While walking through Harlem however, my day started taking a turn for the better. I felt so cool. And white. There were Martin Luther King speeches being played every few blocks. There were women selling peach cobbler from the street! My new favorite brand 'babyphat' was everywhere. I indulged as usual, and bought a babyphat t-shirt, and ate peach cobbler.
Then, I remembered Tamara telling me about this great place to have soul food. Sylvia's. So I called her, and once again she showed me the light, and got the address. Once inside I was very intimidated (hence no pics - it was crazy). I was the only white girl. As my black friends say "they are used to you tourists". I finally grabbed a seat at the counter, and ordered the famous ribs. Seriously? I was licking my fingers and making that pop-noise that one makes when they lick their fingers, and I didn't care. I couldn't even touch the collard greens and mac n'cheese. By dinners end, I was happy and content.
As I walked away - belly protruding below me, I looked around and have to admit that I was a little sad that I don't really belong to any kind of family/community like the one that exists in Harlem.
White people are so conservative. And so skinny.
I could continue about all that I saw in Harlem - but I more want to urge those in NYC to travel up to Harlem and see for yourself. It really is one big family. See for yourself, eat cobbler, elbow your way to a seat at Sylvia's.

I liked how all of the billboards in Harlem featured those of us with darker skin.