Monday

Wrigleys owns all of the gum made here in the U.S. Did you know that? I thought it was all separate - like Big Red was Big Red, and Juicy Fruit was Juicy Fruit. But no, this is America. What was I thinking.
Anyway, the only reason I know this is because I wanted to do a little promoting.
Buy the new Extra flavor - wildberry. Its good.
I am not sure there will be a superbowl commercial about WildBerry Extra gum, but there should be.


Along the lines of gum.
Last night on the Metro North New Haven line, I read this passage in The Solace of Open Spaces by Gretel Ehrlich. I will quote it for your reading enjoyment.

"From the clayey soil of northern Wyoming is mined bentonite, which is used as a filler in candy, gum, and lipstick. We Americans are great on fillers, as if what we have, what we are, is not enough. We have a cultural tendency toward denial, but, being affluent, we strangle ourselves with what we can buy. We have only to look at the houses we build to see how we build against space, the way we drink against pain and loneliness. We fill up space as if it were a pie shell, with things whose opacity further obstructs our ability to see what is already there."